Bhutan Power Corporation
Bhutan Power Corporation Limited was launched as a public utility on the 1st of July 2002 with the mandate of distributing electricity throughout the Country and also providing transmission access for generating stations for domestic supply as well as export. One of BPC’s basic mandate was to not only ensure that electricity is available to all our citizens but to also make sure that it is reliable, adequate and above all within the means of all consumers.
The erstwhile Department of Power under the Ministry of Trade and Industry was bifurcated into three separate entities namely Bhutan Power Corporation Limited– a public utility, Department of Energy – A government department responsible for policy, planning and coordination activities for the energy sector and Bhutan Electricity Authority – Regulatory body under the Department of Energy.
BPC started with 1193 employees with 967 employees joining from DoP and 226 employees from CHPC. BPC is the largest corporation in the Kingdom of Bhutan with a human resource size equal to almost 9% of the total Civil Services strength. It is the sole provider of electricity in the Kingdom with operations spread in 19 Dzongkhags. For economic growth to take place sufficient supply of electricity is an important prerequisite and our mandate provides a direct link to achieving the national goal of Gross National Happiness.