- Personal Protective Equipment: Personal Protective Equipment or PPE as it is more commonly known is all the equipment a worker needs to wear or use to protect them from risks to their health and safety which cannot be controlled in other ways.
PPE include: Safety Helmets, Safety Gloves, Safety Goggles, Safety Shoes (Boots), Face Shields, Flame-resistant shirts and pants, etc.
Be sure to choose the PPE that is right for you and your circumstances which should be as follows:
- Appropriate for the hazards,
- Worn as the outermost layer,
- Worn CORRECTLY, zipped, buttoned, etc.
- Maintained properly and removed from service when needed.
- Test Before You Touch: Responsibility for your Safety begins with you. Simply shutting OFF the power is not enough. Hazardous conditions can still exist. Therefore, make sure you always Test Before You Touch. You may not get a second chance to learn this important lesson.
- Lockout/Tagout: Lockout/Tagout procedures safeguard workers from the unexpected energization, or startup of machinery and equipment. They can prevent the release of hazardous energy during service or maintenance activities.
- De-Energize: Be protective about your Safety. Working on energized equipment greatly increases your risk of injury and death. Hence, be proactive about De-energizing all electrical equipment before you attempt to investigate or repair anything electrical and always ensure that your work environment remains safe.
- Standards & Best Practices: Remember while working with the electrical machineries, the workers should always dress up neat and the hairs should be fastened properly.